Checked your flood risk? Great! You can never eliminate the risk of flooding entirely, the National Flood Forum has some advice on how to protect your property.
If your home or property has been identified as being at flood risk there are some things you can do:
- Understand the level of risk. The Environment Agency has a number of maps that can help you understand the risk: http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/37837.aspx
- Ensure you have suitable insurance. If you’re finding it difficult to obtain affordable insurance, there are specialist brokers able to assist you
If your home is damaged or you suffer a home emergency, you’ll want to get some repairs done quickly. But how can you make sure you don’t end up with poor-quality repairs? Make sure to think CHECK:
- Call your insurance company before arranging any repairs. They may have a preferred company.
- Helpful cold caller, no thanks!
- Ensure it is a reputable trader. Are they a member of the Trusted Trader Scheme?
- Choose from quotes, try to get at least 3 proper written quotations
- Keen for payment upfront? Beware!