#30days30waysuk – Make The Right Call

It’s important to understand when to dial 999 or if another responder may be more appropriate.  Many of us will never have to dial 999, but if you do it’s important to understand what service you need (Police, Fire, Ambulance or Coastguard), to remain calm and speak clearly and stay on the line until you’re told to hang up. 

If you’re unable to make voice calls you can text the Emergency Services from your mobile phone – you’ll need to register before you can use the service by texting ‘register’ to 999.

Remember if you:

  • get into trouble at the Coast dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard
  • see a fire, no matter how big or small, dial 999 and ask for the Fire Service
  • feel unwell, but it isn’t a life-threatening emergency, dial NHS 111
  • need to report fallen trees, large potholes or damage to traffic lights report these to Norfolk County Council Highways: https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/roads/report-a-problem
  • need to report flooding from a burst water main or sewer flooding call Anglian Water or Essex & Suffolk Water
  • need to report flooding to: your property (internal), critical infrastructure or priority roads contact Norfolk County Council Water Management: https://online.norfolk.gov.uk/floodreport/
  • are struggling to deal with the effects of a crime you can contact Norfolk & Suffolk Victim Care.
  • want to report a crime or incident on the trains you can text British Transport Police on 61016.  Always call 999 if it’s an emergency.
  • accidently pocket dial 999, stay on the line to explain, don’t just hang up.