You don’t know when, or even if, a fire will break out in your home, but you can take steps now.
Working smoke alarms will warn you of a fire but remember:
- you’ll only hear them bleep if they’re nearby, fit one on every flood
- they need to be tested once a week
- you should replace them every 10 years.
Create a fire action plan with everyone in your household, including a safe escape route from your house. If you live in a high-rise building most of your planning should be the same as ground level however:
- choose a route that doesn’t involve using the lift
- count how many doors there are to get downstairs in case you can’t find your way
- make sure escape routes & fire escapes are clear from obstructions.
Norfolk Fire offer free safety advice, carrying out a home safety check. To see if you quality, visit the Norfolk Fire website or call 0800 917 8137.